Wednesday 17 July 2013

Pacific something or other...

  1. I have put all memory of the second half of the title out of my mind, it may well be presented in the poster here but that is as far as it goes.
  2. I tend to think of the title as really being "Specific Spam".
  3. Hugely enjoyable film with giant robots and monsters fighting in 3D. Idris Elba and Rinko Kikuchi will stand out in memories but who the main male hero was will soon be forgotten, don't ask me the actor's name, let alone the character he plays. 
  4. The scientists were irritating characters and finally the monsters became too many indistinguishable from one another in the last 15 mins, but exactly who is trying tell them apart? 
  5. Idris Elba's character helps to save the Earth from alien invasions roughly in the same way as he did in Prometheus indeed. Obviously that's type casting for you. 
  6. The white men who were piloting the robots all seemed to look the same to me, it took me a while to work out who was supposed to be who, there was a scene where one of the Australian men gets into a fight with the main male character in the movie because the man wouldn't apologise to the Japanese woman and I couldn't remember after a while whether it was the Australian father or son who looked almost the same age anyway and then I deduced that it must have been the son but I began to realise what the son looked like towards the end of the film but could not remember exactly if he was the person involved in the fight
  7. But this was the cinema experience that I was promised, it lived up to the hype and it didn't really matter how much of the cast were killed off and were then forgotten.  The plot was more like some scenario conjured up by a child playing with robots and monsters but it was Del Toro playing with robots and monsters as if he were a child and with all the enthusiasm that one might have hoped as a child he would have had. The visual humour was appreciated such as the point where they discover of a toy robot in the sand of the beach and the moment when a Newton's cradle is set off.
  8. Despite being attracted to the concept, naturally this sort of movie wasn't going to go down well with me right from the beginning, there would be irritations about some of the characters but it went down well enough considering, I didn't really appreciate the Hellboy film to want to go and see the sequel, maybe I ought to take a look at it one day. 
  9. I look forwards to buying it on blu-ray.
  10. I would like a poster of Rinko Kikuchi in her robot piloting outfit and will imagine her sitting on my knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment